Strategic social media marketing, such as the use of Instagram, can be one of the most effective ways a small business can grow its audience and, in turn, its customer base and bottom line. While Instagram started as a primarily a photo sharing social media platform, the app has also transitioned to short videos and e-commerce. Studies are showing that around 54% of users want to see more video content from their favorite brands and businesses. Instagram is answering that call by transiting the platform towards more video content.
Now is a perfect time to jump on board using Instagram videos to attract potential customers and build your small business’s brand.
In this post, we’ll break down some need-to-know basics and tips on how to use Instagram videos to highlight and market your business.
Types of Instagram Videos
There are five types of videos on Instagram:
- Reels (similar to TikTok)
- Live videos
- Videos posted on stories
- In-feed videos
Depending on the goals of your small business, and the product or service you’re marketing, you will want to be familiar with all types of Instagram videos so you can select the one that is best suited for your business’s and customers’ needs.
To begin with, you likely are most familiar with Instagram’s original video format, known as in-feed video posts. These videos are uploaded and appear within a user’s feed, mixed in with their photos and other content posts.
Instagram Reel Videos are similar to TikTok, in that they are extremely short, 15 to 30-second videos. These types of videos are best for short messages or customer interactions and engagement.
In comparison, IGTV, or Instagram TV, are meant for long videos, up to 60 minutes. These types of videos are pre-recorded and then uploaded to your Instagram feed.
Instagram live videos are exactly as they sound: live. Viewers stream these videos in real-time and have several additional features, like shopping links or tags.
Lastly, Instagram Stories, seen along the top of a user’s feed, and are only available for a limited time. They disappear after 24 hours.
Instagram Video Tips
- Use Sound and Captions – Using sound in videos is a must when trying to catch the viewer’s attention! Using sound and closed captions can ensure that all viewers are able to view your posts. Instagram offers closed captioning features to assist with accessibility for viewers with hearing impairments or those watching without sound.
- Regular and Consistent Posts- Build and maintain your audience by posting consistently or create a live schedule, so viewers know when to tune into your content.
- Optimize for Mobile Viewing– If using special recording devices, ensure the content is optimized for mobile viewing when you post it to Instagram.
- Intriguing Hooks- The first three seconds of your video will determine if someone continues watching or shuts it off. Always start your Instagram videos with a reason to make people want to continue watching.
Looking to level up your business’s Instagram video or social media presence? JumpStart video is here to help. With over 10 years of experience, our staff are experts in creating video and video marketing materials to assist small businesses. Reach out today and let us help you boost your social media marketing!